Jacob J. Walker's Blog

Scholarly Thoughts, Research, and Journalism for Informal Peer Review

Thought of the Day: The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.

with 9 comments

When Franklin D. Roosevelt said “The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself” in his first inaugural speech, he was talking about how fear can paralyze us.  But, during this election, it seems that fear has led to a different primal reaction, that of tribalism, anger, and in some cases, even hate.

While I believe that my fear is “rational”, in that Trump shows many signs of having the temperament of a despot, and that it is scary how most Republicans have just gone along, and that if he wins today, there is little backstop to him being able to abuse his powers.

But, the Economist had a great article about how “Good people have been frightened and angered into backing a dangerous man”  And I have first hand seen comments on my blog here, that clearly show that some people have beliefs about Clinton that cause them great fear and anger.   And it seems this fear blocks rationality. For instance, if James Comey has gone after Clinton for emails (which may be legit), and WikiLeaks has posted TONS of emails; if there was really a group of deep dark conspiracies that she was involved with, they would have come to light.

And it seems this fear (which I must admit that I can’t make sense of) is overshadowing the clear and present danger of Putin having more influence over our nation, and the history of how fascists come into power in other countries.

So I implore everyone I know, if they actually read this, vote Clinton.  She is safer.  If your fears about her are true, there are remedies to such fears, and sufficient opposition to her that it is clear that she won’t be able to do any of the things that you might worry about her.  But, if my fears are true, and Trump wins, he will have so much control, that we may not have the institutional backstops to stop our nation from turning from a beacon of light in the world, to a dark dark place.  Please think about that.

Post Revisions:

This post has not been revised since publication.

Written by Jacob Walker

November 8th, 2016 at 7:00 am

9 Responses to 'Thought of the Day: The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Thought of the Day: The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.'.

1. Boy that was a stupid post. Really dumb, whinny, and uninformed.

Conservatives don’t fear Hillary, but rather believe in decency. Lib-Tards just can’t comprehend that truth and honesty still matter among decent people. If Trump wins, the world becomes a better and safer place. Let’s all vote for Trump to make America great again. Only Trump can undo the economic damage created by the Marxist Negro.

Stupid Post

8 Nov 16 at 7:36 am

2. I just got done voting for Trump! What a great feeling!

I actually felt God himself directing me to vote against the sinful Warhag and working inside of me to vote for a man of impeccable integrity and honesty.

GO TRUMP, GO!

I Voted for TRUMP!

8 Nov 16 at 9:02 am

3. Woman speaks out about LibTards:

Living in LibTard Land

10 Nov 16 at 7:30 am

4. LibTards and their Incorrigible Negros:

Living LibTards

10 Nov 16 at 7:38 am

5. Jacob are a done crying yet over Trump’s victory? Is this how you behave anytime someone calls Hillary a corrupt criminal?

LibTard Crybabies

10 Nov 16 at 8:18 am

6. Jacob, have you decided yet whether or not to move to Canada along with the hords of LibTards who are scrambling to get their boarding passes and Canadian citizenship papers ready to escape the coming “Trump Tyranny”? After all, you proclaimed Trump to be a Dictator and most certainly wouldn’t want to inconvenience yourself by living under the coming Great Trump Economic Prosperity that his royal dictatorship said he was going to create, would you?

Sorry, but moving to Canada won’t save you:

Canadian LibTards

11 Nov 16 at 4:57 am

7. Jacob, by any chance have you had any deep internal urges to join in with the LibTards who are now beating up innocent Trump supporters just because they voted for Trump? Why is it that LibTards always speak of being non-violent but then engage in the most brutal violent activities against people who disagree with them? Why is it that Trump supporters have consistently reamined non-violent without striking even a single hair on any LibTard’s head?

Here’s proof of what what I’m talking about:

Violent LibTards

11 Nov 16 at 5:12 am

8. Jacob, knowing that you are connected to the LibTard community these days, can you reveal to us your inner personal feelings on the current LibTard calls to assasinate Trump? Are you for or against such calls for violence against the rightfully elected leader of the free world?

Here’s what I’m talking about:

Should people threatening such violence be rounded up and jailed and charged with Treason or Sedition in order to rightfully preserve out functioning democracy? Or do think mob rule is more the way to go so that the entire system has a chance to topple into a bloody revolution and/or civil war? Where exactly do you stand on the LibTard calls for murder of innocent people?

LibTard Assassins

11 Nov 16 at 5:28 am

9. Please delete all of my previous postings in support of Trump. He has broken many if not most of of his campaign promises and I can no longer support him in good conscience. Next time I’ll vote against him. Trump is now officially a Turd.

Here’s a partial list detailing what the Houston Chronicle says breaks the record for broken promises made by any presidential candidate ever to the voters:

Again, delete my postings because I no longer want to be associated with his stink. That doesn’t mean that Hillary was better. It just means that they are both of the same devious breed, more so then anyone suspected.

Trump is a Jerk